View Single Post
Old August 12, 2019   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

It's a good thing gardeners are gamblers. I had enough trouble with wireworms here, that about 20% of bulbs have some damaged cloves and not suitable for long keepers, every year.

Zipcode says the pink/splitting bulbs occur in Germany as well, and is discussed on some sites/videos which google isn't showing me! Excess N during vegetative phase may be the cause - and I guess this could agree with excess rain making N soluble at once instead of slow release.

I have had one (normal sized) pink/split bulb like this in a past year, which I cured or partially cured separately from the others in fear it was a microbial thing that could spread. The bulb actually cured okay and inside the clove wrappers the garlic wasn't damaged. The pink color seemed to be produced by the garlic itself as a reaction to conditions. So at worst the undamaged cloves can be used early or dried for garlic powder.
Pink color on the outside can be fusarium too, which isn't good. And I need to check those deep holes too, and make sure there's nobody home!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote