View Single Post
Old January 23, 2014   #26
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

The Madison farmers market where I sell is one of if not the biggest "producer only" market in the country. We often have over 150 vendors on a summer Saturday. http://dcfm.org/

That market has quite a few vendors that are woman owned or managed. It also has more than a few minority vendors.

As far as pricing there, it's kind of a 2 tier thing. Those farmers that are "certified organic" and post that at their stands tend to charge premium even if their stuff isn't always worth it (in my opinion). The rest of us can be a bit all over the place on price. Also because most vendors here are long time regulars, customers get to know which vendors use chemicals and who uses very little if any but isn't "certified". But unless what you have is really junk, if you don't stay in a ballpark range with your price, the customers will think something IS wrong with it and pass you by.

For example -- one weekend, about 15+ years ago, I had way too much lettuce come on all at the same time. Bunches of leaf, Bostons, lots of fancy stuff. I had something like 300 - 500 heads. More than twice what I wanted but it had to be cut or it would have bolted. The going price at that time was about 75 cents / head or bunch. Because I needed to move a lot, I was willing to give a bargain at 3/$1. I couldn't sell hardly anything. People thought it was bad I guess. After sitting there for more than 2 hours, I finally re-priced it at 50 cents each and it sold quite well.

Personally I'm not organic, but we use very little of anything that isn't organic approved. But I price what I think is fair for me and fair for the customer. I don't think some of the prices the organic people charge is warranted. I don't have any less hand labor than they do so what are they charging for ?? JMO.

Another of my opinions is to stay away from a mixed market, meaning crafts and rummage. Including that stuff makes it a "bargain" market where the customers ONLY look at the price and hardly ever judge the quality of the product. But if you can handle the local regulations, include meats, cheeses and bakeries. Not all markets want to get involved with the licenses that "processed" stuff need. But only on a "family" small business scale. They need outlets too. No big chain type companies. It gives customers more to find, especially at the beginning and end of the seasons when farm stuff may be skimpy.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote