View Single Post
Old March 7, 2019   #35
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
As you can see from my photo above, I am jumping in now. I agree with PaulF in that come May this snow better be in my rear view mirror! This is my usual time, but it is early for the area. The official recommendation from UNL is March 30 start with a May 15 plant out. If we have a decent string of weather in early May, I push it and take the chance of frost. 100 miles north of here when is that plant date?
Nighttime temps are still frigid, but the days are getting longer so things should warm up your greenhouse a tad at least. It's really nice to have options, even delayed.

It's the cole crops and greens that have be baffled. I was unsure when to start cabbage and broccoli with the snow cover. I put the seeds in to soak last night. I have spinach started and I was thinking of some shallow tubs with miracle grow in about a week. I'm holding off on lettuce and may just seed in-ground this year and choose summer heat as my battle this year.

- Lisa

I started another small tomato tray yesterday. About half the tomatoes in the photo have popped up, and the restarted peppers are mainly up too. Everything is growing very fast. Perhaps the snow is reflecting the sun through the window.

100miles North, Norfolk area, plant out is late May. In Lincoln I usually plant a few toms. out on May 1st. About 50% of the time they make it. Safe date for me is mothers day.

Regardless, with another 3" last night, I'm staring at the 15" of snow across the entire yard, "tunnels" along sidewalk, huge icicles hanging off the house, ect... I don't see anything but late planting this year.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote