View Single Post
Old February 16, 2012   #3
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Janie,

This can get to be a real complicated issue. It varies for just growing transplants versus actually "growing plants indoors". There are a lot of good posts on this subject if you search for "shop light grow lights" you'll hit a number. The wattage is pretty much determined by the type and length of tube.

Flourescent lights have changed a bit in the past several years. The regular old four foot T12 fixtures and bulbs are still around, the least up front expense and a lot of people have grown a lot of great transplants just that way. Four foot units are 40 watts per bulb. You can get a cheap T12 shoplight at Lowes for about $10 and two Daylight spectrum bulbs for about $8. (Plenty of folks use regular cool white but I chose Daylight as I also plan to culture some aquatic plants for my aquariums.)

The newer T8 and T5 units are a better choice (unless up front money is really tight) with better power efficiency. That same four foot unit in a T8 will use 32 watts and actually put out more light than the 40 watt T12s. T5's can tend to get pricey and I only use them over aquariums.

Just this evening I set up two four foot T8 units from Lowes with GE daylight bulbs (2700 lumens at 6500 Kelvin color range). Cost to get two fixtures with , 4 bulbs (covers four flats of plants) was about $54 including tax. I addded another $8 for some 2x2s and bolts with wing nuts and washers to fashion my frame for suspending them. Total for my whole setup was right at $62.

The T8 setup cost about $16 more total than it would have cost to use T12s but I think the T8s are well worth it. I'll try to get a picture and post it tomorrow evening.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote