View Single Post
Old July 10, 2007   #44
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Enjoyed paging though this thread. I love garlic and have wanted to grow some for quite some time now, but every year something just seems to come up. Either I forget to order on time for planting, or I don't have an area properly prepared, etc. Last year, it was because I was moving.

Well, this year, I am going to do it, and already have some ordered.

I'd like to put in a good word for Gourmet Garlic Gardens. They were recommended to me by an experienced garlic gardener in Houston as a top quality source for great tasting and unusual garlics that do well here. The reason some of their garlic may seem expensive at first glance is because they carry some highly desirable and rather hard-to-find types like the Creoles. $16/lb is the going rate for Creoles from most reputable sources (if they even have them available at all).

I had the pleasure of talking to the owner, Bob Anderson, on the phone a few days ago, and he is just a great guy. Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. His webpage is an outstanding source of detailed information on growing garlic. Bob is based in Texas, and while he specializes in varieties that do well here, he also carries a good selection of other types as well. However, some of the Creole types are either out of stock or in low supply, because this was a tough year for garlic growing in Texas due to the grasshoppers and the torrential rains.

Here's a youtube video about Bob and his garlic (about 6 1/2 minutes long):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdlhr8My9n4

Filaree Farm is another highly recommended source, and I also ordered from them as well since Bob was out of many of the Creole types I wanted to try this year.

This fall, I'll be planting:

Creoles:
Ajo Rojo
Burgundy
Creole Red
Pescadero Red
Cuban Purple
Spanish Benitee
Labera Purple

Other:
Metechi (marbled purple stripe)
Red Janice (Turban)
Wonha (Asiatic)

Probably also a small amount of artichoke and silverskin types that might be in one of the samplers I ordered.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote