View Single Post
Old September 7, 2014   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I can't tell the difference between high-quality store-bought corn tortillas (El Milagro is a good brand) vs. homemade. I can absolutely tell the difference between store-bought flour tortillas and homemade and so I always make flour tortillas from scratch.

This is my Beef & Cheese Enchilada recipe I have been developing over the last year. Makes enough for 2-3 people.

Enchilada Sauce

Combine in a skillet and bring to a simmer:
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp sweet/non-hot chili powder
  • 1 tbsp chipotle/smoked chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder (finely ground, no salt)
  • ½ tsp oregano
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp brown sugar
Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, stirring frequently.

Add and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently to break up clumps:
  • 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock

Heat Tortillas
Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a skillet to 350°F and then dip corn tortillas, one at a time into the oil for 3-5 seconds each side, then transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.

Beef Filling
In a medium saucepan sauté until softened (5 minutes):
  • ½ cup finely diced yellow onion
Add, breaking up with spoon until most of the pink is gone:
  • ½ lb ground beef (chuck or 85%)
Drain off most of the fat and stir in:
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano

Fill the Tortillas
Prepare each warmed tortilla by spreading a large spoonful of enchilada sauce over one surface and then fill with:
  • ¼ cup cheese
  • 2 tbsp beef mixture
  • fresh cilantro
  • splash of lime juice

Bake
Arrange tortillas in 11x7 baking dish, and then top tortillas with more sauce and then scatter Mexican cheese blend over the top. Bake in oven at 325°F for 15-20 minutes on middle rack until cheese is melted and enchiladas are warmed through.

Plate 2-3 enchiladas per person and then drizzle with extra sauce. Serve with prepared Goya Mexican Yellow Rice and warmed Refried Beans.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote