View Single Post
Old April 14, 2022   #3
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

I would space items that make big vines, like squash at least a couple of feet apart. I space zucchini hills about 3 feet because they are too hard to reach the fruit without stepping on vines. 2 plants per hill. After trying to harvest sprawled cucumbers once, I now always provide something for them to climb on. They are just to hard to harvest without stepping on plants and fruit, and it is too easy to miss a fruit, then it gets too ripe and the vines stop producing. In a pinch I will use those small tomato cages, but my favorite supports are teepee-style sticks with string or more sticks going across the support sticks every 6 or 8 inches. I can build these supports quickly and for free with any sticks pruned off my own trees or I have also foraged through neighbor's trimming piles. I get compliments on how they look once the cucumber vines get going. I space 3 or 4 support legs for the supports about a foot apart, pushing the sticks a few inches into the ground, then I tie the tops together. I plant one cucumber by each pole and one more in the middle. Sometimes I plant nasturtium between the cucumber plants, but only one per teepee so things don't get too crowded.
As for winter squash, I like to use them as living mulch in areas I don't want to weed or water much. You can use them 3 sisters style with sunflowers or corn. I planted them in an unused RV pad full of rocks that grows lots of weeds and a few blackberry and currant plants. I raked back the rocks to make a few 2 foot diameter circles and made piles of aged manure and compost, planted the squash and then mulched with grass clippings and wood chips. I watered daily until the plants were established and then only twice a week after that. The squash plants got huge and vines out several feet in all directions which helped with water retention and weed reduction.
I have used squash around trees before and ended up with Cinderella pumpkins hanging from tree branches, which made unusual but amusing decorations. The vines will climb whatever they can.
gardenmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote