Thread: Potatoes
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2012   #64
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I highly recommend a 50/50 mix of Amaranth and oat flour for a fantastic gluten free substitute.

Technically there is gluten in it, but not the Triticeae glutens that are typically the issue for people. Only about 2% of people who are gluten intolerant react to oat flour. Most people think that is due to the flour having a tiny amount of wheat in it. (maybe cross contamination at the flour mill? or stray wheat growing in a farmers oat field?)

Anyway I have a home made bread recipe that uses Amaranth and oat and it tastes awesome.
I agree. I use Amaranth and Oat flour allot...as well as rice flour and others...depending upon what I'm doing. Its a relatively recent thing for me to be gluten intolerant, so I'm learning how to substitute in published or family recipes. I even heard about somebody making phyllo made of rice flour in the Toronto area....now I'm trying to hunt it down. I had it at a friend's place in Baklava and it was almost indistinguishable from the regular phyllo dough.

I've also mentioned to Mischka that I want to start Diet Restrictions - Gluten free, Dairy free, Kosher, etc categories for recipes. Whatever people ask for.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote