View Single Post
Old August 22, 2019   #626
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I started a thread that I'm going to add more info here:

" I quit watering the tomato plants about a week ago. The near and above 100F temperatures will take it's toll on a lot plants including older tomato plants even if you keep watering and feeding them here.

I have localized books from before the public could use the internet that says to start Fall garden tomato seeds around July 4, and transplant them out in mid to later August. The books are right. The Fall tomato transplants are seeking the sun as I overly protect them. (I should mention that they have never been inside). In a way, it was kind of sad day when I knew it was time to quit watering, but it's also good to see those cages clean and ready for the fall crop.

I should add this to the containers section - the rest will be about container growing."

I emptied seven 5 gallon buckets into a large container and mixed in some 2 year old 10-10-10. The 5 gallon buckets have been solarizing for over a month. It hasn't rained since July, and yet two buckets had wet mix in them while the others were bone dry? All were in a line with no tree cover/overhangs - no explanational reason for them to be different, but they were. I mixed all the mixes together anyway. (I probably should know better if I remember half of what I read, but I often don't understand what I read when I read it.) At least, I'm honest. I just did what I felt was right.

Tomorrow is cleaning the buckets with bleach. Covering some extra holes drilled in them by me, and my stepmother who passed away in 2010. Yes, some of the buckets I'm growing in are from a generation ago.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote