View Single Post
Old January 11, 2009   #41
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I put mine out under milk jugs the second week in May. Last year, that HAG Mother Nature gave us 27 degrees on June 9th, (NEVER had frost in June in my lifetime) and I lost about a 3rd of everything (I had OF COURSE) already removed the jugs because it had gotten quite warm.
Of course, you know as well as I that Wyoming weather is mercurial. And then we get those "lovely" winds...one year it ripped every single leaf off of my tomato plants. Standing out in the garden and cursing makes me feel better but does little to help! Oh well. I guess it's always something. We don't get all the fungal problems that I see a lot of folks on this forum get, no hornworms and not much else in the way of bugs except this past season, grasshoppers were vicious. They did not get me too bad but I have friends that lost a lot of their stuff to them. My one friend said they even got on her ears of corn and ate into them and ate her potato plants off to the ground.

I manage to grow late season tomatoes and my hubby grows great watermelon. Had one 70 pounder last year.
He grows all the rest of the garden. I only like growing tomatoes (and I don't even eat them!) How's your soil? We have a lot of bentonite (gumbo) and some areas have a lot of alkali. My soil is good because we had a breeding business for about 20 years so we had lots of horse manure mixed with wood shavings. I never have to fertilize anything.

We have such a bizarro growing season in Wyoming. We can get as little as 90 days and as much as 150, you just never know. Glad also to have someone from Wyoming to compare notes with!
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote