View Single Post
Old March 25, 2015   #40
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJessee View Post
Hey, RB.

I'm a big fan of partially composted wood chips. What kind of volume are you anticipating using on the 1 acre plot?
Maybe 2 or 3 trailer loads if I can. Still haven't decided though. I am sure it would help. No doubt. But for the purposes of proving a system that regenerates its own soil health with minimal inputs.....kinda cheating. However, it is free recycled resources, so the cheapskate side of me is probably going to win out! Last year I did one 2 foot wide row in partially composted wood chips used as a mulch instead of hay. Just as an experiment. That row was significantly more productive than the other rows. The other option is stick with the large round bales of hay. I found some at 20 dollars a round bale. Last year I found a USDA NRCS vid that claimed there is ~ 35-40 dollars in nutrients found in one bale just pricing it at the going commercial fertilizer rates. So the price is lower than it's nutrient value alone. AND it saves so much labor. Just unroll it.

Quote:
Are you looking to put all 3 plots in vegetable production this year?
yes

Quote:
What varieties and how many pepper plants are you planning on putting in?
Looking at ~200 bell peppers (california wonder) and at least 100 or more hot peppers of various types, maybe a few sweet types thrown in like banana and marconi.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; March 25, 2015 at 11:48 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote