View Single Post
Old March 13, 2018   #67
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt456 View Post
Big Beef. It has the production, taste and disease resistance I wish I could find in more heirlooms. Sadly most seem to have one or two of the three.
I agree I've tasted Big Beef vs Big Boy vs Better Boy vs Park's Whopper(close second place, so sweet!) vs Early Girl vs Roma vs any heirloom and it still has something that most don't. Peeps are gonna cry foul that heirlooms trump Big Beef but it's more of a tomato taste that I expect from a red tomato. I've met brandy and krim and quite a few others(and yes I know they aren't reds) but none of them have the balance of sweet and acid that Big Beef has...that said I will take Early Girl over all others based on my climate and and I can always starve EG for water and get surreal flavor. EG will never quite match Big Beef because she has too much "twang".

I recommend you try Beefmaster. It is the only hybrid that beats Big Beef but you will never get the production or earliness that Big Beef has.

Big Beef is way good for all the resistance and earliness bred into it. If I were a betting man I bet that big beef has the same parents as Celebrity with some good ol'Crimson Cushion thrown in the mix. OFC I don't gamble.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote