View Single Post
Old February 27, 2017   #11
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
In reply to Max: While there are a few oxhearts with wispy leaves, only a few are that way. Check on the variety. Of the 40 or so hearts I have grown most have leaves that rival any other variety for size. As for the strength of the stems, personally I have never had any heart with weak or thin stems. Maybe it is the way they are raised in my basement with a fan blowing on them that they have stockier stalks.
If you grow your hearts under lights, that could make a difference in how wispy they look. I didn't notice much with my Golden King of Siberia plants under lights (I had them inside for up to a few months, I think), but I sure noticed it after the transplant outside! They grew in vines close to the ground kind of like the Red-seeded Citron watermelon does, in addition to being wispy. I don't think it ever rose a leaf higher than a few inches from the ground, after the transplant. It definitely wasn't bushy.

It had thin stems, and wispy (small, thin and sparse) leaves, but I don't think it was weak.

Last edited by shule1; February 27, 2017 at 08:33 PM.