Thread: braconid wasp
View Single Post
Old August 22, 2013   #6
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

They are my favorite garden guardian. I watched one attack a huge hornworm at our old garden several years ago. Looking back now, it was fascinating and something not seen by a lot of people.
No big deal at the time and not knowing any better, i cut the hornworm in two after the wasp left. Now, i know better and leave them alone.

I've had almost no hornworms (4 or less) the last two years at this new garden. One of them had about 2 dozen wasp eggs on it. I had an severe outbreak of white grubs and hornworms when we first moved here.
It was the worst garden i had grown in over 50 years. What little foliage would grow, the hornworms would devour. I had a KBX with one stem and three branches left. My garden looked like deer had been in a bean field.
I was desperate so i used a wintertime soil drench of Imidacloprid (don't fuss at me too much, Redbaron, i don't like the stuff either)

I don't think i have any grubs now, i do have dozens of bumblebees and honeybees, mostly in the cukes and squash. I see the occasional wasp out on patrol.

I have always wondered where they make their nest. The only place i have ever seen them, other than in the garden, is on or behind the bark of Shagbark hickory trees. I have no idea where they live.

Thanks for posting this, Redbaron.

Last edited by Ken4230; August 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: small addition
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote