View Single Post
Old July 30, 2015   #27
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Just a comment about Runner Beans - and I assume that I am correct and that they ARE runners???? They certainly resemble them, both in flower colour and pink/purple speckled bean.

We used to eat Runner Beans in England a lot when I was a kid. I don't think we grew them, so we probably bought them and they were 8-10" long and always had strings. We would simply top and tail them and remove the strings, then my mother would slice them finely on the diagonal and cook them in a little water - delish!

We could even buy gadgets that would slice the beans and remove the strings at the same time!

I hate to think of people wasting beans that are perfectly good to eat, just because they have strings.

Yes

Linda
Yes, Linda, you are correct. They are runner beans. As a young child, momma and us kids would pick string beans, and sit outside on a blanket and take the ends off and the strings would pull down the opposite end. Then we just snapped them in pieces with our hands..No gadgets for us and no wasting beans.. The gadget does sound fascinating! I did not know they made them for beans!!

Last edited by barefootgardener; July 30, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote