View Single Post
Old December 12, 2016   #23
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
DTM for runner beans is highly variable. You could probably rate them as days to first bloom... but from there, it depends upon the temperature. In cool temps (mid-70's F. & below) pods might set as soon as flowers appear; but in warm/hot temps, the vines might bloom for months without setting pods.

My Gigandes did not seem to mind low 80's, it set a few pods then; but the majority set when a 2-day cool front briefly interrupted the heat. The pods take a long time to go from flower to dry seed, I think it was almost 2 months. Muddytoes, chances are that your runner beans will set in late Summer / early Fall, unless you get one of those cool snaps. You might also try putting a sprinkler on the vines for several hours, to cool the plants.

Limas & runner beans are almost opposites in terms of heat. I am fortunate to live in one of the "sweet spots" where I can usually get mature seed for both.
Good to know, Zeedman. I suspect I'm probably better off sticking to limas and ordering the Gigandes to make the plaki. I'm still going to try starting the Scarlet Emperor Runner beans in the early spring though. They are so pretty. I like to fit in as much edible landscaping as my neighbors will allow.

Yes, you are fortunate, indeed, to be able to grow both. I am a novice bean grower but I like experimenting. If I lose some plants to frost from planting too early, I'll just replant with something else.

Last edited by MuddyToes; December 12, 2016 at 06:38 PM.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote