Thread: Paprika
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2016   #21
tash11
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Some of the best and almost all prize winning chili recipes have paprika in it.
I use it in chili all of the time.
Mine is onion powder oregano, garlic powder chili arbol, cayenne, guajillo chili, cumin, paprika salt.
But if you just use sweet paprika you will end up with goulash.
Worth
My best one (when I have it all and the time): fresh onion, fresh garlic, cumin, sea salt (smoked if I have it), ancho, paprika, chipolte or whatever hot pepper I have on hand, and whatever homemade hot sauce I have (currently ghost from a friend). I smoke the peppers myself if I have time. I will toss a whole hot smoked pepper in sometimes. Good stuff.

Oddly, I have never made it with fresh tomatoes. Everything else I have used fresh (or dried for the beans and smoked peppers) at some point, but never the tomatoes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
Starlight
My Korean wife grows her own very hot peppers that she uses to make Hot Sauce and Kimchee. She also dries them for seasoning. She also grows a variety that she calls wrinkly, based on appearance, for snacking. She eats them by dipping them into the Hot Sauce. If you think you would like to try them PM me with your address and I'll mail you acouple of Peppers with seeds
She wouldn't be willing to share the recipe for the kimchee would she? I love kimchee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post

I see you and Tom both use cumin. Interesting. That is one ingredient I would never have thought to try. Gonna have to check into that.

It's not chili without cumin. It's some kind of spicy stew, but not chili. Without the spicy it's not chili either, it's just cumin soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Now when I say goulash I mean real goulash not the stuff with hamburger neat and macaroni.
Cumin/comino is a must for any chili it is a spice I use by the boat load.

When you asked what to keep the powders in I use pint mason jars.
By far the best cheapest and most economical way to keep spices.
Worth
Goulash is like chop suey, there is no right way to make it. Just toss whatever you got in a pot and tell people it's dinnertime.

I agree on the mason jars. Pint or half pint or the 4oz depending on what/how much. I usually don't grind the smoked peppers right away so I put them in larger jars. I do put them in bags if I am taking them to trade though. I have one of the attachments for my foodsaver that sucks the air out of mason jars too.
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote