View Single Post
Old February 18, 2013   #53
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I've never seen the end-cap ballast type fixtures. Almost all I have from HD/Lowes have the ballasts in the body of the fixture.

What brand/model of ballast did you get from ebay? Seller?
Some are, some aren't. You can usually tell if it has an end-cap ballast if the tombstones are molded into the end-cap as one piece and it doesn't have a removable ballast cover, usually on top.of the fixture
I have a couple of fixtures I bought from K-Mart a few years ago for $25.00ea that have end-cap ballasts that have been working fine, but those supported both T12 & T8 lamps. Most cheaper fixtures on closeout I've seen that are T12 don't support T8 lamps.
So if you are going to buy a fixture these days whether with an end-cap ballast or standard ballast, I would make sure it is a T8 fixture since the availability of good T12 6500K Daylight lamps are drying up anyway. Lowes doesn't even have 4ft. T12 lamps anymore except 5000K Sunshine and warmer cool white lamps last time I looked.

I bought some GE UltraMax T8 2 Lamp electronic ballasts (GE232MAX-N ULTRA) from a seller last year that was installing new lighting fixtures in a building and removed the T8 ballasts from the old fixtures to sell. They only cost me about $16.00 delivered for three of them, which was a bargain compared to the price of new ones. I have some failing 4 ft. ceiling fixtures with magnetic ballasts in the basement that I want to upgrade from magnetic T12 to electronic T8, so the extra ones were a plus.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote