View Single Post
Old February 12, 2012   #55
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Have to admit, that I'm still (just barely) on the negative side of the fence about this site. (WARNING: long drawn out, possibly assinine opinions. Proceed at your own risk!)

I'm going to give my full two cents worth, not because I think my opinion is all that important, but because I suspect others may either agree or disagree and that it may help Penny make the site better than it is.

Penny does seem to be a very open and adaptive person who is trying to balance making money, providing information and having some fun doing it all. So this is not a critique of Penny herself, but of some things that I personally like and dislike about the site.

Negatives first, just to get them over with.
The tomato/squash ★★★★★ thing, (they won't let me type the correct anatomical name ) just seems like false advertising. It's a squash. Why call it a tomato? Maybe it's a joke? It seems like several of us are not only not getting it, but having a negative reaction, so she may want to reevaluate how it's presented?

Some of the info does not seems to be correct or seems to be exaggerated. One example is that I don't think most would describe indeterminate cherry tomatoes as "smaller bush type plants" that are perfect for containers or small spaces. My indeterminate cherries (and most of Penny's cherries are also indeterminate) grew all over the place and I wouldn't recommend them for container plantings. Determinate cherries, on the other hand, might be great for containers. (As would most any determinate tomatoes or dwarfs.)

Tomato horn worms do not lay eggs until they have turned into their adult moth form. Those hornworms that have eggs laid on them by wasps will not make it to the moth stage and therefore will not lay eggs.

Does the tree tomato really average a bushel of tomatoes? If so, Wow! It honestly sounds too good to be true and there is nothing on the site to back it up, so I will tend to form a negative opinion with that. If it does, then I would love to see some documentation and reviews from actual clients, otherwise it just brings down the believability of the site. (That may be my cynical side, but I don't think I'm the only one who is wary of these types of claims.)

Honestly, my real biggy, and others have also brought this up, is using the photos of others without permission. As a graphic artist, I have to say that this issue, more than any other, will keep me from buying anything or recommending the site until it is corrected. I suspect that Penny may not understand the importance of this. (as many people don't) It is stealing, plain and simple.

This in the only thing that I do feel is a major issue and hasn't been addressed yet. The irony is that the photos that seem to be Penny's own photos are actually as good or better than the ones that aren't hers. Hopefully, this will be corrected quickly.

If that one major flaw were corrected, then there are also many positives about the site. It is obvious that a lot of love went into creating it and as a southern girl, I appreciate a bit of showmanship and humor! The erotic veggie doesn't bother me one bit as long as it is accurately marketed.

I most appreciate the fact that she is trying to educate, even if some of the facts are a bit off. (That's something that, I'm sure, a lot of really knowledgeable people here would be happy to help her with!)

Also, we have first hand testimony that her product and her service are quite good which are two of the most important priorities of any seed company.

Okay, that's my fifty cents. (I went way over two cents) Anyone else?
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote