Thread: Fusarium Wilt
View Single Post
Old June 3, 2017   #47
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I found a site for EarthBox https://www.amazon.com/EarthBox-RB-E...9784480&sr=8-1

A sight that shows info and pictures of EarthTainer https://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/ but I haven't found one for sale. I'm guessing they would cost about the same?

I can't afford to spend that much - unless I quit eating

About Grafting - I was wondering if I could buy any variety that has FFF,N in it - or are there certain varieties better than others? I'll use these as examples:

Amelia VR Hybrid VFFFNTSt Packet (10 Seeds)
Dixie Red VFFFNAStTswv Hybrid Packet (10 seeds)
Mountain Merit Hybrid VFFFNTswvEbLb Packet (10 seeds)

Those are at the Seeds N Such site.

I forgot to add, after over 3" of rain, there is another plant wilting due to the Fusarium. That answers one question I had -
No, you can't foliar feed and water a plant infected with Fusarium.

I tried about a half dozen FFF hybrids as root stock and the results were not good. I got very low production and fruit set while the ones with the root stock specific seeds did wonderfully. I also did an experiment with Big Beef and if you don't need FFF protection then the FF Big Beef works really well as a root stock. Big Beef did very little in affecting the scions growth and production but did give FF protection but for me that isn't enough. I had the same idea you did but found the results weren't nearly as good as I hoped and in fact were quite disappointing. There were a few combinations that worked alright but for the most part the scions did not thrive and produce like they should when grafted onto those FFF hybrids. Even when using root stock specific seeds for grafting you will occasionally find a few combinations that do not work well together. The RST-04-106-T root stock has given me the highest percentage of good performing grafts of all that I have tried and with the added benefit of FFF, RKN and BW tolerance.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote