Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old July 21, 2016   #209
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think the German style harvest pot is the best.
Unless you are just filthy to no end it wont spoil or get mold in it.

Just dont look in the container for at the very least two weeks or you might get mold.
Here is the rundown.
As the stuff starts to ferment it creates gas that pushes out air without air mold cant form and the fermentation makes an acid environment so botulism causing bacteria cant form.

The 5 gallon buckets would be good too with airlocks you can buy.

About 3/4 of the way up seems to be best and make sure you use weights.
The old timers and many people now use wood with stones on top of them.
If I could use buckets,that would really be helpful.This move is going to be quite expensive,and if I can save a penny here and there,it would be a good thing. I sure do like the looks of those crocks tho.Maybe when I get back, I can start picking up cans along the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Trop, they might just do that! Our MFP group in Douglas County (Roseburg) is having a fermenting class in Sept (I'm helping in the kitchen but someone has to do it ;-) ) Douglas County MFPs have been asked to help Curry County do an MFP training. Frankly kind of far for us. But it does sound like there is an active group there looking to grow.
No doubt the good folks in Curry County would be most appreciative of the help.I think the Ext Service is probably in Gold Beach isn't it?

I am well acquainted with the Roseburg area.Had family in the Looking Glass area and the folks had property in Oakland (near Sutherlin).I made deliveries all over that area every other day for 12yrs out of Medford.

We couldn't make it there before Sept I don't think,so that is disappointing,but there is a lot of solid info here,and Youtube videos as well.