View Single Post
Old August 7, 2018   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Good for you but it isn't a viable option down here in the hot humid south. I sometimes use a water spray but try not to do it unless conditions are unusually hot and dry because the foliage diseases love our humid conditions and the more frequently the plants are wet the worse they get. If a fungicide is not kept on the plants the diseases will quickly move in and take over when the weather is hot and humid which is almost always. When the humidity is as high as it usually is down here the plants just have a hard time drying out. Even though the air is humid and the plants are usually dripping water in the mornings it doesn't seem to slow down the spider mites too much though they definitely are worse when it is very dry. I have found that to combat spider mites over a long season it is best to alternate treatments because they do become resistant over time. I use soapy water, neem oil, Permethrin, DE, plain water, and even essential oils in my efforts to combat them; but I have to always keep fungicides on the plants during this time of the year or they will quickly succumb to all the usual foliage diseases.

I hope your treatment of water spraying keeps working for you and consider you very fortunate if it does.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote