View Single Post
Old March 10, 2015   #46
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Drew, I'm growing the Lautchauer myself. Every seed came up and due my own mix-up, I wound up transplanting all of them. I hope they're good lol. But that isn't why I'm replying.

One pepper really surprised my wife and I last fall. We grew Anaheim for a milder chili relleno pepper. Four plants produced more than we could use, so at the end of the growing season, we dried them for chili powder. When dried, Anaheim peppers have this scent to them that makes your mouth water. They are not thick skinned like Jalapeno or Bells or thin skinned like a frying pepper such as shi-shi-to.

Heat-wise, Anaheim...well, not-so-much. But in chili, we added some tabasco chili powder giving it a nice 40,000 Scoville units boost. The thing about using milder type peppers for chili powder is that you can always add more heat, or leave it mild for those who don't care for hot stuff.

Edited part: I agree with what you wrote above. Especially the slightly moist part. Makes for a much better tasting dried pepper.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 10, 2015 at 12:59 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote