View Single Post
Old January 24, 2017   #43
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Just went out and measured my healing chambers and they are about 10 1/2 inches deep. I wish they were a little bit deeper. If I ever run across any with a nice flat bottom that are clear and deeper I will get them. Usually the deeper ones are just too large unless you are grafting a whole lot of plants at once and space in not an object.

Usually they are in the box about a week but some of that is with the lid opened up a bit. Depending on how well they are doing and the weather they might come out much earlier or a bit later.

Never used Big Boy or Better Boy as root stock but they should do fine. I think they have moderate soil born disease resistance but I'm not sure. Just for practicing any tomato will do. I used IS one time and they did great but I didn't plant them because they really don't have much disease tolerance like most heirlooms.

Just checked my root stock seedlings and my scion seedlings that were planted a week earlier. The root stock seedlings have caught them and some are actually larger than my scions. Next time I may wait a full 10 days between planting them.

Bill
Thanks Bill. This answers my question well.
The reason I ask is that I have a small clear plastic box of about 12" tall. It can accommodate about a dozen 4" pots. That should be enough for my experimental grafting intention.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote