Thread: French Tomatoes
View Single Post
Old October 2, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanum315 View Post
So I was recently in Paris and noticed that these two varieties seem to be in a lot of grocery stores and farmer's markets. They are blemish free and appear to be mass produced. Other than guess from appearances, does anyone know what these might be? No labels, no stickers. They were not quite as flavorful as say, a Calf Heart or Black from Tula grown in my back yard but not sure if this is because they were perhaps grown hydroponically or they are some sort of commercial hybrid meant to look like an heirloom.

The last pic is from the garden site of Marie Antoinette in Versailles. I was sorely tempted to jump the fence and dig out a seed or two. Fortunately, my frontal lobe prevailed. The pic really doesn't do it justice. There is some marked orange striping and the fruits are huge.
There is no way I would even attempt to ID any varieties found in public places in Paris, and that includes Versailles, just north of Paris,I've been to V and the gardens there are spectacular.

According
to some o f our French and Spanish Tville members,tomatoes in particular are sent to Paris and elsewhere in France from primarily Spain usually non hybrids.

So how can one know what the heck they are since they don't have labels on them or any other way of IDing them.

How I wish I could find the thread here at Tville that explains all of this, but I wouldn't even know which words to enter for that search since it was so long ago.

What's so called pretty/unique sells well ,and they don't care what they taste like.

Carolyn