View Single Post
Old October 14, 2016   #18
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Like several other posters, I add lime jiuce. Although I generally use bottled juice, I try to use fresh if there are good limes available. Good vinegar too, but the lime juice reduces the amount of vinegar needed.

LOTS of heirloom peppers, almost double the amount called for in the original recipe. The tomatoes I use vary from year to year, as do the peppers to some extent... but Beaver Dam is usually the backbone of the pepper mix. I let them ripen for several weeks, until they turn deep maroon & begin to shrivel. That gives the salsa both body, and a deep red color.

Cilantro sometimes... but depending upon the flavor of the tomatoes, I sometimes substitute dill seed. If I have a secret ingredient, that's it.

Taste test while cooking, sometimes add a little sugar or celery salt to balance the flavor.

When the salsa has cooked & is ready to can, I insert a conical strainer into the mix, and ladle out broth until the salsa is the consistency I want (I like it thick). That hot broth can be poured over ramen noodles... it can be pretty spicy, depending upon the peppers used.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote