View Single Post
Old March 7, 2018   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Dawg I grew Green Goliath for a while and it made some big heads but it was much later than I like with our quick changing weather so I dropped it. Packman was my favorite for quite a few years but then I found Coronado Crown and it was far superior. I replaced it with Gypsy when it was no longer available and really like it. It matures quickly and makes a large tight head with bountiful side shoots while the plant doesn't get quite as large as Packman. It also seems to be more reliable year after year so I guess I'll stick with it for my main crop and still try a few that I haven't grown yet just in case one of them might perform better.

Since the cooler weather has moved back in I may try setting out a few more plants and see if I can get some decent broccoli before the real heat moves in. I'm still getting side shoots from my spring plants that headed too early in that freaky hot weather we had in February. My lettuce that I set out a few weeks ago is doing great and it cooled off just in time for it to make some nice heads.

I plan on setting out my first bed of tomatoes this Saturday and I already have a bed ready to go, so all I need to do is set up my support system.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote