View Single Post
Old March 30, 2016   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, that's excellent advice about the order of unpacking. - and packing up, if you have anything left. If it's well planned to begin with, you'll save yourself many headaches and hours of dealing with the mess that happens.

One bit of advice, since you're going to the trouble of making a sign in the first place (which is a great idea), also pick a name for your business and put it on the sign. Not only it will help you with the repeat business, you'll get new customers by word of mouth. So much easier to say "I got these delicious maters at the market from "Imp's Heirlooms" , than it is to explain, "... the lady with the red truck... or whatever. Descriptions don't cut it, someone looking for your stand will be confused especially if there are lots of tables with similar things going on and no signs.

One thing I've used for bringing plants to market, is to carry them in a container that I can flip over and use as a stand on top of the table. Not technically necessary, but if the size is right (stackable and not adding much weight) it does add visual appeal to have more than one level and will make that product stand out. Actually the ones I got are cat trays from the dollar store. Sorry, no cats around to get the wrong idea.
Also when the market is under way you'll see which way the traffic is flowing. Make sure your sign is placed so it doesn't block line of sight to your product in the oncoming flow. Sometimes the setup needs to be tweaked so that people are drawn in to your table. It's pretty amazing what a big difference that makes. Since I'm kinda hyper anyway I'm grateful to have something to do if I'm not busy with a customer so I'm always fixing up the display. i never sit, always stand by my display. Sitting sucks the life out of me. You lose your upbeat energy and that is bad for sales. That's my excuse, anyway.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote