View Single Post
Old February 8, 2022   #18
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Wow @AKmark! Just saw your detailed fert routine above. Thanks for taking the time to write it all out. I grow a few in containers so off I go to find some of your "close" mixes or the MAsterblend mix. Call me silly, but I never thought to do it for the containers ( just a few of them) until now....Plus another revelation-my containers are too big. I do some dwarfs in them. They are whisky barrel sized. Maybe I can actually do 2 plants per container...what?! Squeezing more varieties in next summer??!! What a gift. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Finally back in AK for the season, we have property in Kentucky and like those Winters over AK Winters. LOL With any inderminate we plant two plants, pruned to a single stem, in five gallon containers. Like I said somewhere, we put them close together to maximize yield. Its pretty much the standard for people who grow for money, especially in a greenhouse where space is limited. I forgot to mention that 200ppm Potassium Nitrate in addition to the masterblend mix works well.1500 to 1700 ppm. If you look up a site called Haifa and find their tomato grow guide, they have some real nice charts that breakdown elements usage throughout the plants life. That stuff really helps if one is trying to find the genetic potential of yield with the tomato plant. We do what the really big operations do because they have to make a profit. What we dont do is grow commercial varieties that are grown to be shipped, good shelf life, etc, we grow for flavor, then yield, then sell at farmers markets. We water two- three times a day on hot days. The bigger containers are friendly in that regard, but I like to water because we feed when we do. I hope that makes sense? Good luck
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote