View Single Post
Old March 27, 2015   #15
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I've eaten more cow peas in my life than any cow! They have been a multiple times a week to daily staple in my house since I was kid.

My favorites to eat in order are Lady Cream Peas (a zipper cream that is maybe 1/2 the size of most cow peas. Tender, delicious) Purple hull peas (which I'm 99% certain are Pink Eye Purple Hulls) and brown Crowder peas (we just called them Crowders).

Growing wise, I've only grown Purple hulls. I don't really have space for them as the ones I grew were vining and climbed and ran all over everything. There may be some that are more bush like in growth habit - I'd check that out for sure.

In the end, when the farmers market less than a mile from house sells them shelled, in ziplock freezer bags full, and they taste the same as the ones I grew, I knew I was done growing them myself. The process of shelling them is a pain and I don't need the extra work for the same product . Now if you can grow them and taste better, that's worth it. That's why heirloom tomatoes are the greatest single thing a home gardener can grow, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Dewayne Mater

PS if I grow them again, it will be Crowders. Those are very rarely available in my neck of the woods anymore and are a very good cow pea.

PPS The history on these peas is interesting. The mostly came from Africa with slaves. Also, they have some protein, which is nice from a non animal source, if you are a vegetarian. (I'm not!)
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote