Thread: Bay laurel-
View Single Post
Old June 3, 2016   #3
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I've had one in the ground in a protected location for about 12 years. Zone 7. It wants to grow much bigger than I allow it in its pruned ball form, like topiary, ball on a stick. Must be about 5 ft across and 8-9 ft tall. We do get much colder than 10F. 23F is not uncommon for a few days each winter here and sometimes colder for longer but the laurel thrives. I wait until August to harvest and shape up the form again. I think the hot days increase the flavour of the leaves. A popular seller at the farmers' market my daughter sells at.

I expected this plant to be tender and small and tried it as an experiment. If I had know how hardy it is I would have planted it further away from the house!

From reading comments about bay laurel elsewhere it seems that some people cannot taste the flavour of this one at all. I always have to keep some for friends as they all like the addition to their cooking and even dried it is still fresher than anything we can buy here.

PS
I have never fertilized this plant once established and can't recall that I ever did . Ordinary garden soil would do fine.

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; June 3, 2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: add ps
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote