View Single Post
Old July 7, 2017   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I may be a bit cooler than you being up in the Catskill Mountains but we all have some
challenges in the NEast. Temps all over the place. One good thing consistent is nice
weekly rain, not too much. Every season is different for sure, but my tomatoes seem
to do really well every year, some better than others but never a total bust.

I have raised beds kept clean. Amending a bit in the early Spring with compost, worm
poo. Double dig in some peat as well as TomatoTone. (no longer in each planting hole
as a critter took a liking last year and dug some plants up). Straw mulch, cover for the
winter...

I use Neptune and TTF but light a week or so after planting, then again around fruit set
but no set formula...usually after some rain so it goes deep. I'm pretty stingy with the
feeding.
Even experimenting in different beds over the years, production is what it is and no
real noticeable difference. I have a stable of favorites that do well, mostly hearts.
SunGold and CubanYellowGrape, and now GGWT are standouts. Nothing in the 'early'
category of hybrids do well at all.

I just grow many and satisfied with a full freezer lasting all winter...

Envious of Southern growers stash....yet with a full summer season often lasting into
early October, it is not that short after all. Might even match that production.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote