View Single Post
Old August 22, 2017   #25
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
All of my black varieties were rather bland when it was raining so much for most of this season. Now that it is hot and much drier the flavor is really coming alive. I much prefer Indian Stripe of either leaf type to CP or BK most of the time. BK busts too easy and CP is just too darn unpredictable in production. Love BK as long as it doesn't rain much and it is very hot and CP is wonderful when it produces. This year Gary O' Sena has been wonderful but in so many years past it was rather bland. I like to give a good variety several years of production and tasting before giving up on them for one or more reasons; but typically it is taste that finally gets them the axe or replanting again and again.

Bill
I will plant ISPL again next year in a different location in my fairly large garden to see if it lives up to the hype, but I am involved with numerous farmers markets and have numerous tastings at each and it never is more popular than Cherokee Purple, Black Krim and doesn't even come close to Mr. Stripey, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine or Kellogg's Breakfast. Folks like it large and full flavored!
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote