View Single Post
Old May 14, 2018   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have the same problem since I am not retired and have to go to work and leave them in one place all day. I put them in a wagon, lol. I put them out on the north side of the house for a few days, wheel them in at night if needed or carry in a few boxes with many plants in each box. Sides of boxes needs to be cut down and fairly low so they are exposed. After a few days if I see no damage I move them to the east side so they only get morning sun. After a few more days I try a couples hours of full afternoon sun on the South side, and if all is well, for one day I put them in South sun, leave them out and check on them a few times during the day. If all is well they are ready to go into the garden. If they are wilting, need water, or don't seem to be thriving I give them some shade. You can always throw a light cover over them to keep more sun off until you are ready to give them more sun again. If you have a Tree that provides good shade from afternoon sun that would be a possibility also. This is not fail proof but it has worked for me every year execpt one. If it is going to be windy, keep them under cover if you can't check on them! Lost most of my plants to one windy day while i was at work and they were dried out and wind burned when I got home.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote