View Single Post
Old October 5, 2018   #5
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Congratz!!!

If you plan on buying a tractor then your garden will grow bigger than 1/8th acre. They make gardening a breeze and too easy to put another row in within a few hours. I wouldn't waste money on a disc, go with a tiller from the start and you'll be glad you did. I would get a ripper/middle buster strong enough to use to trench water and power to the garden. Just run it a few times to make a ditch, till over it and use hippers to cover the ditch then pack it down with the tractor. Besides a tiller, middle buster(to make furrows to plant seeds, dig potatoes/trenches) and hippers(to make rows) you might want a set of cultivators for weeds. Check into plant a row skip a row, that makes it easy to tend plants and you can either run the tiller between rows or let the grass grow and mow it. Make it wide enough to fit the tractor or a gold cart to make picking easy.
I do plan to grow it larger each year, but I doubt I will ever exceed 1/2 acre at least until I retire from the day job. Not planning on any trenching just yet as there will be some excavation and construction projects over the next year or so that could disturb any underground piping or wiring. I'm in no big hurry to get a house built there but it's in the plan. The 4 car garage comes first - just saying...

Quote:
As far the weeds, you're gonna have some for a few years. Tilling will bring up new seeds and it's a constant battle. They best thing to do is till and let the seeds sprout and grow a little then till again. Try to do this as often as possible and eventually you'll get them knocked back.
Was hoping if first tilled just before frost (which probably wont happen) and then again in the Spring if that might get save me at least half the battle of fighting the regrowth.

Quote:
Do research on cover crops too. They help building the soil and you might be able to get the garden planted with a fast growing crop now.
Unless the weather forecasters are wrong (never happens right?), I'll miss the boat by a couple weeks for planting any cover crop this year, but it's in the plan for next Fall.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote