View Single Post
Old November 25, 2018   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn. Fafard in the green bag is awesome, and it's my favorite too, but the cost is high near me. Everything in that particular nursery is super expensive so no surprise there. The added bark fines make peppers very happy, so it gets rationed to those starts. But I do love it.

I purchased a large 2+ cu bag of Jiffy online and on sale this weekend. Carolyn, you mentioned transplanting once. I am trying to simplify my process and hold the babes in the six packs a little longer than I have done in the past. Trying not to breathe in as much peat and perlite dust as I think it is getting in the air (and filter). I do wet the medium but sometimes I rush and omit this step. So I am looking for a perlite substitute before I break down and order a mega bag.

Salix, I start germinating in phases beginning in January, and my garage is pretty cold! I have used DE but it is not my preferred method. The roots were amazing initially, but when I transplanted into soilless mix it didn't seem to produce as robust a transplant in the end. I am surprised you don't start earlier. What zone are you in?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote