View Single Post
Old June 30, 2016   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

ha. That's even uglier than the Black Amber I made a thread about.

Two unique circumstances about me in regard to physical confrontations are #1 - I'm a former mma fighter, and #2 - I also have a law degree. So I have both the ability to hurt people, and the education to understand the vastly negative consequences of doing so. The net result is that I am a very difficult person with whom to pick a fight.

One of the things I learned from mma is that appearances are deceiving. Sure, some fighters like having tattoos and purple mo-hawk haircuts. But the best fighters I knew never cared about having a menacing appearance. A lot of them looked like innocent choir boys. But they would have just annihilated an untrained opponent, one of any size.

There was a video going around last week of a 6' 6" drunk guy picking a fight outside a bar with a 5' 4" 150 pound little guy...who happened to be a Gracie purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Big guy got put in a guillotine choke and left laying unconscious on the sidewalk. No permanent harm done, by the way, he woke up after just a brief nap. One of the great things about training martial arts is that you not only learn to defend yourself, but you can do so without seriously hurting the person who is attacking you.

So all of that helps with my calm demeanor about confrontations. That guy at market didn't come looking for a physical fight. But he was certainly scared of one from my 300+ lb step dad. He moved like the wind when stepdad told him to leave.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote