Thread: Paprika
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2016   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Ok, here's a don't do. Don't put an actual paprika pepper in chili. It will not taste mexican at all, it will just taste paprika.

- Lisa
Thanks for the warning Lisa. As somebody who has never tried putting paprika in chili before, I'm dumb enough to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
You can use any pepper to make paprika. I prefer thin skinned peppers as they are easier to dry and grind. I have been using a cross from my garden that produces thin skinned, dark red peppers with medium heat. I remove the seeds to keep it from getting too hot, dry them in a dehydrator, and then grind to a flake consistency. This goes into my chili by the tablespoon, along with cumin seeds, oregano, and home grown ancho powder.

TomNJVA
Thanks Tom! Good info to know. I think the next time I go to town, I'll look for a dehydrator. I better get one before they all gone from around here. What kind of grinder do I need? Something simple that will work. Amateur here. If I learn how to do the paprika good, Ancho is what I would like to try too. I gotta take some baby steps here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Some of the best and almost all prize winning chili recipes have paprika in it.
I use it in chili all of the time.
Mine is onion powder oregano, garlic powder chili arbol, cayenne, guajillo chili, cumin, paprika salt.
But if you just use sweet paprika you will end up with goulash.
Worth
Sounds good Worth, but I would have to leave out some of them hot ones. I know they have some of the biggest chili cook-off competitions there in TX. I watch the competitions when they come on the tv.

I see you and Tom both use cumin. Interesting. That is one ingredient I would never have thought to try. Gonna have to check into that.

I love goulash!!!!!! I usually put sugar in mine to make it sweet. Now I know I can use peppers instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
Starlight
My Korean wife grows her own very hot peppers that she uses to make Hot Sauce and Kimchee. She also dries them for seasoning. She also grows a variety that she calls wrinkly, based on appearance, for snacking. She eats them by dipping them into the Hot Sauce. If you think you would like to try them PM me with your address and I'll mail you acouple of Peppers with seeds
Is that what they call Kimchee pepper jelly? There is a woman at market who makes it. She also makes a Kimchee pepper salsa. Was some good stuff. Not too hot on the taste buds.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote