View Single Post
Old July 14, 2016   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Colors sell well for me, with dark purple varieties like Chr. Purple being the best sellers. Customers are familiar with it so they feel comfortable buying them. Orange Jazz has done well for me as a big orange tomato. GGWT has also sold well because it taste amazing and is quite uniform for an heirloom type.

I find knowing about the variety helps because people ask a lot of questions. I try to convince people to try a few different colors so they can see what they like. Others will only buy red tomatoes. Try to find varieties that look decent, taste good and are eye catching.

Ones that don't sell well for me are small colored tomatoes and any tomato with lumpy bottoms. I also sell plants early so many customers grow what I sell and then are more willing to try whatever I tell them is good.

With cherry tomatoes any good color mix sells fine. I think Ron's CC is better than BC and I try to get a orange/red/yellow/blue mix for the most eye pop. Just remember, it can look like a million bucks but if it taste like crap people wont buy again. I didn't get a blue planted this year because the previous 2 I grew tasted like watery poop and customers complained some. Good Luck, and happy growing!

Edit: Oh and always grow varieties famous in your region, the old timers always buy those. Here thats CP, rutgers, better boy etc
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote