View Single Post
Old July 22, 2016   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Mat-Su Express

Ricky the largest part of the Mat-su line is red, but I did pull a pink selection out of the F2 and have been working on that version too. It is shaped like a smooth BW and taste is similar to BW , but it is a little smaller and quite a bit earlier.
I grew out a couple hundred plants to make good selections to get the line where it is currently. The project was originally meant to produce early smooth fruit BW types, but my main F2 selection was a very early mini red beefsteak that was mouth watering good/ exceptional, I did make a good choice it seems.
Another unique trait of the strain is many fruit tend to ripen at the same time on a truss, that was luck, but the trait seems to be captured. I have not had one complaint from people who have ate these, they are pretty complex tomatoes considering you get ripe tomatoes just a bit over 100 days from seed sprout, 102-108 to be exact.
I must add that AKSherry is responsible for helping with all of the crosses we are tinkering with, 15-20 or so. She is pretty good at doing the tiny flowers you find on many super early varieties, me, not as much patience. LOL.
Anyway, I will gift out as many F6 seeds as I can this fall for others to try in their areas.

The pic of the plants are not Mat-Su, I accidentally posted that one and don't know how to delete. It is Bloody Butcher X Dester, they are pretty good too. Sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1460.JPG (378.1 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1434.JPG (367.6 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1369.JPG (377.0 KB, 501 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote