View Single Post
Old March 20, 2018   #10
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
Hmmm, I've dealt with squad bugs and svb, but never had animals eat a pumpkin plant before. Now I'm kinda nervous because lots of animals can get in there.
Oh boy. Insect and animal pest are a real problem here. They love my squash. I have an 8'+ fence around my garden. It keeps the deer and dogs out. Small critters still invade. My little dog and moron cat help with the above.
My husband is a gardener at a local inn. Fences and cages are not pretty. So he has to use commercial animal repellent. EXPENSIVE!!! You can get the stuff from W.M. There are also lots of home made animal repellents. Everything from human hair to rotten eggs, even bars of soap. Most don't work.
There is still a pumpkin farm near a city, not so far from where I live. They are near the highway. They don't have anything but a regular barbwire fence-and acres of pumpkins-I don't know how they keep the animal visitors out of the pumpkins.
Surely someone here grows or once grew a bigger pumpkin patch then I have. I use a fence. I have too.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote