Thread: Corn Quandry
View Single Post
Old June 26, 2019   #28
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

JR, I'm glad you mentioned it! I must be slipping because I picked the first four ears yesterday, didn't take a pic and didn't mention it!

Here's what the Silver Queen looked like eight days ago:

We ate them with lunch yesterday and the kernels need to size up just a bit more but the pollination was perfect and they were right tasty! Maybe another five days. With Silver Queen those silks have to be completely dark when ready and most of the ears are still showing a tinge of gold right where they emerge from the ear.

I side dressed down each side of the double row at the 5 leaf stage and again when tassels started showing.

I've also got Japanese Hulless Popcorn growing (first time for popcorn) in a bed near the Silver Queen. Got the planting timing right as the first tassels are just starting to peek out and the Queen is done pollinating. This pic was 8 days ago too and they're about a foot taller now:

Again, I had some delayed germination here and there so there are plants of different sizes. That's probably going to cause some pollination issues just like it did with the Spring Treat in a bed. This has taught me that when planting in a bed, overseed. Hadn't had that problem before but overseed I will!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote