View Single Post
Old February 27, 2016   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Worth... I need some help, please. I got my 2 x 4" and a neighbor is going to cut it for me. Got to take it down to him today. I just don't think I am coordinated enough nor strong enough to make the 30 degree cuts.

The part I am stuck on is where you say "to pre-drill your hole so you don't split the wood."

Probably stupid question, but am I supposed to drill a hole all the way through the 1 x 1 and also make a hole in the 2 x 4 piece then put in a screw?

Also, will this tepee be strong enough to hold cucumbers too do you think?
I will start from the beginning.
Yes you pre drill the hole in the legs the holes should be just be enough for you to push the screw though but no bigger.
Clearance holes.
You can pre drill the holes in the 2X4 but they would have to match up so I wouldn't do it if you were worried.
This pre drilling serves two purposes one is the screw wont split the leg and the other is.
If you dont pre drill the hole in the leg the screw will go through and then it has to strip out the threads it made to get started in the 2X4.
It is a pain in the neck and more often results in a poor connection and split wood.

If you want to pre drill the holes in the 2X4 they need to be a wee bit smaller then the root diameter of the threads.
These are called pilot holes.
The root diameter is the smallest section of the threads not the outside diameter.

I will post a pictuer I dont know if you will be able to see it or not.

The Tepee should be strong enough to hold just about anything.
To put this contraption together I would hang it from something.

If you have anymore questions I will be here, no problems.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote