View Single Post
Old January 25, 2017   #66
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
worth, I'm following the thread with hugh interest. I used to love electrical circuits when we studied in grade 8, but now I have to review even the very basic stuff before I do anything.
I'm changing the basement light, but a bit puzzled by the wiring here. See the photo, how can the two black and one white go together? This the original wiring before I took it apart.
I have no idea without seeing the whole circuit.
Could they be going to a switch?
If there is a load like a light in series on one of the wires then this would work because there would be no short circuit.
The switch would be in parallel on the circuit.
But I just cant tell in the pictuer what everything is or what it used to be.
Could be that someone just didn't give a hoot what color they wired.
I found the same thing at the house I was at,
The white was hot and the black neutral and there wasn't a thing I could do about it being buried in the walls of the house.
Lord knows where they made the switch/change.
When I put the white and the black together the light came on.
These two wires went to a high level alarm switch in the tank.
That light hadn't worked in years.
When I put the white and black together the owner my friend was flabbergasted as to why it didn't trip the breaker.
So I drew out the circuit for him showing that load in series on one of the wires.
He is used to DC fire alarm circuits and was totally confused with house AC wiring.
Thus the reason I was there.
This has been my experience for years.
Very few electricians get it on supervised DC fire alarm circuits and very few fire alarm or control guys get it with AC wiring.
Can you give me more details?
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote