View Single Post
Old June 2, 2019   #328
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
So far the peppers are doing ok in the heat and setting a lot of flowers and a few fruit. They get shade until about noon and then after 6PM. They've done well in that environment so I'm rotating them every year through three beds in that part shade area. They're not tied to the stakes but they lean against them when the prevailing wind blows.

I probably should have put the soaker hose under the mulch but it was an after thought and thus after the fact so it will stay that way since it works.

Dawg I have had some great results although somewhat messy looking pepper beds by setting out sweet potato slips every three to four feet in my peeper beds. For some reason this has helped the peppers maintain their health and production much longer than usual. I am also going to try the same thing in my okra bed this year and see if having the sweet potato vines under them is as complimentary to them as it is to the peppers. It does take some pruning of the sweet potato vines throughout the season as they like to run up everything and you don't want that. The funny thing is I get much better production out of the sweet potatoes when grown in the same bed as the peppers than when grown by themselves. Besides pruning the vines that try to climb the peppers I also try to prune them if they leave the bed otherwise they will go everywhere.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote