View Single Post
Old December 12, 2016   #245
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I took out a magnifying glass today and examined the flowers. They have exerted stigmas!!!! Exactly what I'm looking for in the promiscuous pollination project.

F1: [Fern X LA1777]

Fern is my earliest slicing tomato. Red fruits about 4 to 6 ounces. Determinate. Leaves are fern-like.

LA1777 is Solanum habrochaites, a wild tomato from very high altitude in the Andes.

Wish that I would have paid attention to the flowers ten weeks ago when I had plenty of pollen being produced in the greenhouse. There are a few fruits maturing fruit for this cross, but there could have been so many more, and I could have mixed up the genetics more than I did. Oh well. Maybe I'll be a better plant breeder next growing season.Wish that I would have paid attention to the flowers ten weeks ago when I had plenty of pollen being produced in the greenhouse. There are a few fruits maturing fruit for this cross, but there could have been so many more, and I could have mixed up the genetics more than I did. Oh well. Maybe I'll be a better plant breeder next growing season.
I'm sure you'll get something great. All the stories about scientists working on one thing and then gettin lucky and " accidentally " discovering something much better than they ever expected!. Jimbo.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote