View Single Post
Old January 3, 2021   #263
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I would like to introduce you to my favorite variety tomato Start F1. I would like to allow those interested to grow this tomato and taste it. That is why I offer a few seeds to interested. No exchange required.
Vladimir, this is an exceptionally generous offer from you, and I hope folks here on TV take the opportunity to try Start S F1. I am in Zone 3a and it grows very well here, ripening right after Stupické Polní Rané and Bloody Butcher. The taste is much better than either of those two, and imho also much better than Burpee's Fourth of July F1 and Early Treat F1, which are the North American varieties I see it aligned with on the earliness scale.

I have included a couple of pictures I took when I first grew Start S alongside Fourth of July in 2017. In the pictures, FoJ is on the left, and Start S is on the right. The three white marks on the shoulders of the Start S fruit are from hail damage - unfortunately Calgary is located in the North American "hail alley." Vladimir, your pictures of it are so much better than mine! The cut picture reveals that Start S is substantially more meaty than FoJ. For me Start S ripens only a few days later than FoJ but is significantly more productive and overall a better tomato, so it's all I grow now in that early post Stupice ripening window.

I was not aware of the lineage - "Father - Bulgarian line M 21 with a strong aromatic taste, mother Stupice with RL." Thank you for providing that.

rg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Start vs FoJ.jpg (40.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Start vs FoJB.jpg (40.6 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; January 3, 2021 at 12:56 AM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote