View Single Post
Old December 25, 2016   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Lyn is the market grower and knows prices per pound. But it would always be regional me thinks. I've not seen a GreenMarket seller in NYC growing tray micros. Or micro toms, sunflowers. Would seem ahead of the other sellers do do so. Prices have to be set by what sells and competition. Prices are based on what a buyer is willing to pay.
Being consistent and available. With a buyers eye i would always buy fresh cut but not a pre-cut bag.
My first 2010 tray that went to baby salad greens beyond micro and now my NewYears tray is the same...not even a lb. Or might be one lb. Salad greens are light. It's the food value per plant/stem that has $ value. Not every shopper knows that. Education is part of the selling plan.

Every dollar spent should make a retail 10. My method doing charity events the past few years. (not my time and labor...that is free charity) I just want my dollar to give 9 back.

If i was retired for market extra income i would want the same or more. Every 50cents spent i can make 10 bucks. Labor is retired free time.
Why i'm testing micro sunflowers now. 5 plants in a cute felt grow bag costs 75cents, sells for 10-12. The kids could start this project in Feb. and sell early April.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote