View Single Post
Old May 12, 2017   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 11 May 2017 Tempeh. First batch.

http://durgan.org/2017/May%202017/12...20Tempeh/HTML/ 11 May 2017 Tempeh. First batch.
Recently being introduced to Tempeh, after some preparation it was decided to initiate a setup for making the high protein food. There were several things to learn and to decide on the most convenient methods. Things to focus on are de-hulling the soy beans, making some sort of incubator in the range of 30C to 36C, how to contain the fermented product. I was not wholly without experience, since I had made Natto several times.
My system summarized is as follows. Use 500 ml of dried beans. After processing this translates into about a liter. De-hull the beans by boiling for 30 minutes and rubbing between the hands about six times draining the hulls away periodically. Pressure cook for 45 minutes.
Cool the beans to 40C add two tablespoons of white vinegar as a spore catalyst, add the spores (3g) and mix thoroughly. Place the prepared beans in containers of choice. The finished material sticks to anything. I chose open mesh containers (Bed and Beyond) lined with 100% cotton flour cloth from Walmart. The beans must have some access to air to ferment properly.
For an incubator I used a body heating pad in a 22 liter bucket (Winee trade) with a stand set above to place the fermenting containers. I placed a LED lamp on top for a bit of control by installing a plug in dimmer. I needed a bit more heat than what the heating pad supplied to get about 32C. A temperature of 30C to 36C is required. My dehydrator will not go as low as 30C.
The fermentation was highly successful. All four of my containers produced quality tempeh. This is the raw product and it need be cooked. I sliced four piece off the main block and fried them in butter and served with a touch of soy sauce. This was my first attempt at making this product. Pictures depict the method in some detail.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote