View Single Post
Old August 19, 2007   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

About Red Barn.

Several years back we had a wet summer here and I had two varieties that gave me fruits that were close to 3#. One was Red Barn and the other one was Tidwell German. So I'm not surprised that Red Barn won the heaviest and biggest.

But what about the taste? I thiunk it's pretty darn good. It's in that same group of tomatoes that Joe Bratka's father bred which includes Box Car Wille, Great Divide, Pasture ( forget about that one,) and Mule Team.

Oh how I wish I could grow more varieties than I can now. In retrospect I now realize how blessed I was to be able to grow upwards of several hundred plants each year with 100 to 200 different varieties.

I read about so many new varieties that I want to grow and just can't do it now that I'm confined to just 14 plants a year that someone else has to take care of. Oh well, it could be worse and was this year with my total take off 14 plants being 2 Bloody Butchers, 5 Black Cherries, 2 Sherrill's and 2 Danko's and 1 Tsar of Bells. And I won't be getting anything from the other 9 plants, each a different variety. But there's always next year.